Your moving checklist
You’ve sold your Fylde home, and you’ve had an offer accepted on your next one. Here’s how to make a smooth transition between the two.
Moving house is always going to be an emotional experience, but despite the conventional wisdom it doesn’t have to be a particularly stressful one if you plan well in advance. Print this checklist, pin it to the fridge, and start crossing those tasks off the to-do list.
4-6 weeks before you move…
- Removals: Get quotes from three firms. Before booking, check their references and that they’re insured for everything they’ll be moving.
- Renting? Tell your landlord you’re moving. Do it in writing to take effect from a payment date. You’ll probably have to give one month’s notice.
- Declutter! Now’s the perfect time to get rid of the things you won’t be taking with you. After all, there’s no point paying to transport or store things you don’t want.
- Arrange storage if there’s going to be a gap between selling your old house and buying your new one.
- Order new carpets, fittings and furniture: don’t leave it until you’ve moved in – they’ll all take weeks to arrive.
- Who needs to know? Tell the following people that you’re moving:
- Broadband provider
- Building societies
- Credit card/loan companies
- Family & friends
- Gas provider
- Insurers (and arrange new cover)
- Pension provider
- Phone providers (landline and mobile)
- TV licensing
- Water company
2 weeks before you move…
- Medical: De-register from your local doctor, dentist and optician (if you’re moving out of the area)
- Post: Give the Post Office a forwarding address for your mail
- Pets: Need someone to look after the animals while you get settled? Arrange their care now
- Removals: Confirm times and dates with the removal company
- Keys: Confirm with the estate agent where and when you’re picking up the keys
- Start packing non-essentials
1 week before you move…
- Bills: Pay any outstanding ones
- New owners: Put together a list of the following information for the people who’ve bought your Fylde home:
- When is bin day, and where should they leave their bins?
- Where’s the main stopcock (to shut off the water)?
- Where are the gas and electricity meters?
- What’s the code for the burglar alarm?
- Who’s been supplying the energy, broadband and home phone?
- Where is the thermostat?
- Meter readings: Take your final meter readings as close as you can to moving date
- Keys, manuals, warranties: Put together any keys for window locks, sheds or garages, and instruction manuals or warranties for items you’re leaving
Planning to buy or sell a property in Fylde? We’ll help you every step of the way. Get in touch here.