Call Email Like Our Page

Landlords be prepared – New EPC regulations from 2018!

Landlords be prepared – New EPC regulations from 2018!

If you’re a residential landlord it’s very important that you take note of this blog. From the 1st April 2018, all rented properties in the private sector must have a minimum EPC rating of E or above. This will apply to all newly rented properties and to tenancy renewals so be careful you don’t get caught out! From the 1st April 2020, it will apply to all existing tenancies as well. It will be illegal to rent out a property that does not meet the minimum requirements. The penalties are severe – a civil penalty of up to £4,000 will be imposed for any breaches of the new regulations.

Which properties will the new rules cover?

All properties (that are required to have an EPC either at the point of sale or at the point of let) within the private rented sector in England and Wales that are let under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement (AST) will be covered – plus 4 other types of tenancy;

  • Any tenancy which is a regulated tenancy for the purposes of the Rent Act 1976. Or properties let;
  • On a tenancy which is an assured agricultural occupancy
  • On a protected tenancy under the Rent Act 1976
  • On a statutory tenancy under that Act.
  • Important note on studio apartments
  • All houses, bungalows and flats will be covered; however, it is worth noting that studio flats (bedroom and lounge in one room) do not currently need separate EPCs so will only be covered if they form part of a larger building that does require an EPC.

Are there any properties that are exempt?

  • Listed and protected buildings and monuments whose appearance would be negatively affected by any works
  • Standalone buildings with a total useable floor area of less than 50 square metres
  • Houses or flats/apartments that are used for less than 4 months a year
  • Buildings which will be used for 2 years or less and are therefore temporary
  • What can iMove do to help me?

    We will be contacting all our managed Landlords who have EPCs of F or G to advise them of the new rules. We are also able to source quotes for the required works and manage the refurbishments on their behalf. It is in our interests to protect their investments and we will work hard to ensure any non-compliant properties are brought up to scratch to prevent any penalties or further action.

    What sort of works can I do to increase the energy efficiency rating?

    • Low energy lighting systems / bulbs
    • Draught proofing
    • External wall insulation
    • High quality and well insulated external doors
    • Replacing glazing
    • Roof insulation (on underside of roof felt / tiles)
    • Loft insulation (above ceilings)
    • Water source heat pumps
    • Insulating pipework
    • Gas fired condensing boilers
    • Thermostat boilers
    • Solar panels
    • Hot water taps
    • Will these regulations affect the value of my property?

      These regulations, if adhered to, will not affect the value of your property at all. However, if any required changes to properties are not made in time for the new regulations, it could negatively affect the value. Any landlord looking to purchase your property as a buy to let will, from next year, take note of the EPC rating and if it’s an F or G they will look to renegotiate the price to take into account the work that’s required.

      If you would like more information on how iMove sales and lettings can assist you with keeping compliant on your rented properties or for more information on our managed lettings service get in touch on 01253 883311 / [email protected]

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published.


    1 − 1 =

    Book an appraisal